1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Murty believes players are ready to fire on all cylinders after open and honest talks

Discussion in 'Rangers FC News and Chat' started by Stubo, Feb 16, 2017 at 1:42 PM.

1. Stubo

Stubo Moderator
    Staff Member

Rangers caretaker manager Graeme Murty believes the players and himself have the same expectations after a clear the air meeting with his Ibrox squad.

The Ibrox side's Under-20 boss is taking charge of his first full week of first-team training after being handed the top job on Friday evening following the shock departure of Mark Warburton and his management team.

The former Scotland international took his first training session on Tuesday and told Rangers TV that “clear markers" had been set out and both he and the players had demanded honesty from each other as the Ibrox club look to come to terms with the events of the last week.

Murty, who is set to take charge of his second match as the Light Blues travel to Tayside to face Dundee this weekend, said: “I haven’t done anything differently from what I have done previously with the 20s; it is just laying out to the players clearly how I see the game because it might be different to what has gone before.

“I have also just chatted to them about what they want to do and what they want to achieve and they were really open and honest on Tuesday morning.

“They gave each other clear markers on what they expect from one another in terms of behaviour and performance.

“Getting that out in the open and getting them to actually be as open as they were was really beneficial I think.

“That is the way I do it, I can’t go in there and mind read what the players are thinking but once they go out there and they are overt with you and they tell you then you can then be open and honest with them and I can tell them my expectations.

Murty admitted he believes it will be beneficial to the Ibrox club for the players to have had a chance to have their input into how they move forward and admits he will allow them the freedom to express themselves when they hit the Dens park pitch:

“It is going to be more structured for me; it is going to be about how I see the game and how I would like them to look.

“I am really conscious that I don’t want to micro manage. The players at the football club are really talented and they have real ability.

“As far as I am concerned it is just me allowing them the freedom to express that ability whilst having the structure and understanding that allows them to be difficult to play against.

“When you look at the attributes we have, particularly in the forward areas, I think most teams in the country would die to have them so it is about unleashing them as much as we can.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...ngers-caretaker-graeme-murty-believes-9831388

Kass2012 and Zepp like this.
  2. bluegenes

bluegenes DTB Supporter

Hmmmm...talks?......A football club is not a democracy...somebody has to call people out for their performances,make the decisions....peer pressure can work well,but only to a certain level....imo,we haven't got a leader on the pitch that can get the group going...we'll see,maybe a week without listening to Warburtonspeak will clear the players heads....but Murty shouldn't be afraid of any if these guys...he's played at a higher level than most of them.

gustuan, yulf, exthreepa and 3 others like this.
  3. Gersgirl

Gersgirl Girlies

I dont see it as a bad thing , maybe he felt there was a bit of animosity going on ... Ive seen it on the field between tav n ohalloran . New start , air cleared ..a wee bit of team building. Now get us those results !

4. AllAboutTheGers

AllAboutTheGers DTB Supporter

Top Poster Of Month

I liked his interview
    It won't be easy for him but it sounds like he's ready to play it his way & as long as that's the case I will be happy
    Canny wait to see us go 3-3-4 on Sunday
    Bring it

Kass2012, Zepp and Gersgirl like this.
  5. WL.GER4EVER

WL.GER4EVER DTB First Team Regular

I liked the bit about having a structure that makes them difficult to play against , we haven`t had that all season .It goes without saying that we need to be tighter when we don`t have the ball , but maybe it needed saying to a few of them .I assume this also means that we won`t see Senderos on Sunday as he is not difficult to play against , just difficult to play with . A few words to both full backs about one staying back when the other attacks, to Foderingham about when to just kick the ball up the park and why he shouldn`t roll it out too quickly at times and to Halliday , if he plays , about letting the ball roll across himself when he doesn`t know who is too close or on his blind side. Fairly simple stuff , but it will be the first time any of them have heard it apparently.

gustuan, Karl in SC, Jako and 3 others like this.
  6. Always Blue

Always Blue DTB Star Player

Wonder what he will do with Kiernan. I am sure the coming posts will have plenty of suggestions but it is a serious point. Having left him out the squad for one game will he bring him back in.

Bruno55 likes this.
  7. Jako

Jako DTB First Team Regular

I know 99.9% of them talk a good game , but i like the way he handles himself and the players . I 100% like the idea of having a solid structure in place that the players all agree and are happy with ? this fkn " Fluidity " Warbs spoke on and on about was probably the reason every cnut in the team was hovering OUTSIDE the box permanently like midges ! . I wish the guy all the best and i really hope they play for him , There is a team among this pool of players , here is hoping this man can get it too play .
    Code:
    --- Double Post Merged ---
    For me AB.......thats one of the key questions . because nice big guy as he appears to be , as far as i have seen Kiernan never was , isnt , and never will be Rangers material .

WL.GER4EVER and AllAboutTheGers like this.
  8. Zepp

Zepp DTB First Team Regular

lYDmo1w.gif

9. Ron Burgundy

Ron Burgundy Moderator
    Staff Member

If he decides to change formation and tactics every player deserves another chance inc. MoH, Forrester and Kiernan

10. AllAboutTheGers

Top Poster Of Month

God I near followed through when I read that

Jako likes this.
  11. Gersgirl

Gersgirl Girlies

Barry mcKay came back a better player after being left out for a couple of games ...you never know RK might just do the same ... Might play differently under Murty

Bruno55 likes this.
  12. Bruno55

Bruno55 DTB Star Player

You just watch AB we'll get an injury at the back and Rob will be back in...guaranteed
    Code:
    --- Double Post Merged ---
    You've a wee soft spot for Rob GG lololol...

Lochy, Always Blue and Gersgirl like this.
  13. Gersgirl

Gersgirl Girlies

Noooooo , hes keech and im talking it lol .. My weans are aulder than him ...gawd , ive probably got shoes aulder than him lol

Bruno55 likes this.
  14. Bruno55

Bruno55 DTB Star Player

Lololol I'm not talking that way lol you want to see him improve lol....doball lol

Gersgirl likes this.
  15. Gersgirl

Gersgirl Girlies

Dohhh ... Lolol . Language barrier again
    I would like to see him come good ...

Bruno55 likes this.
  16. Zepp

Zepp DTB First Team Regular

raw.gif

Gersgirl likes this.
  17. Gersgirl

Gersgirl Girlies

Zepp likes this.
  18. Bruno55

Bruno55 DTB Star Player

Pardon? Lololol...

Gersgirl likes this.
  19. The Barcelona Bear

The Barcelona Bear DTB First Team Regular

Lets wait until we see what happens on the park, the world is full of managers who talk a good game

mccoist likes this.
  20. Gersgirl

Gersgirl Girlies

Ive put the spade down lolol ...

Bruno55 likes this.
  21. Kass2012

Kass2012 Club 1872 Contributor

I think it was a good move by Murty in having frank talks . I especially like the bit about players' expectations of each other as they are in the best place to see each others' flaws.

Murty is in a difficult situation as he is only the temporary manager, but if performances improve it might save us money in appointing an Eck or a Davies whilst we consider a permanent appointment, and if he does well in the next few weeks who knows?

#21 Kass2012, Feb 16, 2017 at 9:11 PM
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017 at 9:19 PM
    Bruno55, Karl in SC and Gersgirl like this.
  22. ohmydosh1972

ohmydosh1972 DTB First Team Sub

Good luck to murty, I'm glad a new temporary manager (mcleish) hasn't been appointed at more expense.

At least murty knows the players, including the young lads.

He's got a difficult job but I hope he goes for it.

Let's see what team he picks on Sunday, my guess is it won't be too much different to the recent starting line ups maybe with a slight change in the way they play.

23. Bruno55

Bruno55 DTB Star Player

I think its safe to say by not rushing and bringing in any one to steady the ship that eck or Davies will not be at ibrox come the start of next season phewww and we'll have a young manager with a lot of fresh ideas Kass...

gustuan and Kass2012 like this.
  24. exthreepa

exthreepa DTB First Team Regular

If Murty steers them to a place in Europe that is all we can ask of him, that will be a success throw in a win against Celtic will be a bonus.
    If we fail to make Europe then the flak will fly.
    All we can do is get behind him and the team
    If these players don't know by now they are playing for their future at Ibrox they never will.

Gersgirl, Kass2012 and Bruno55 like this.
  25. Bruno55

Bruno55 DTB Star Player

I predict nearly a total clear out next season..

Gersgirl and exthreepa like this.
  26. AllAboutTheGers

Top Poster Of Month

They'd better start asking them to leave for free then m8
    Quite a few on fairly long contracts

27. exthreepa

exthreepa DTB First Team Regular

On past performances I agree, so it's up to them to show us they can hack it at Rangers, and that starts on Sunday.

#27 exthreepa, Feb 17, 2017 at 9:54 AM
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017 at 12:31 PM
    gustuan, Gersgirl and Bruno55 like this.
  28. "The Oracle"

"The Oracle" "Babayaga"

How many times have we heard this ???? Talk is cheap.Action not words and so on and so forth.

gustuan and yulf like this.
  29. Arh_itsnotjustagame

Arh_itsnotjustagame Club 1872 Contributor

We're just about to find out whether the players are genuinely not good enough and need to be chucked or whether it was the managers ineptitude, I suppose.

I hope that we don't actually need to completely wipe out the squad. I am still holding out hope that players, like Garner for example, will come good in a system that actually suits him.

Time will tell.

gustuan and Karl in SC like this.
  30. herbieb

herbieb DTB Reserve Regular

I hope when they had their talk Andy Halliday finally admitted that he should be dropped and replaced by far better players in the team and that we play with two strikers.

yulf likes this.
  31. Arh_itsnotjustagame

Arh_itsnotjustagame Club 1872 Contributor

Who would you have in for Halliday, bud? Or midfield in general?

32. Bruno55

Bruno55 DTB Star Player

A fit Prodan sorry Rossiter....

herbieb likes this.
  33. ip63

ip63 DTB First Team Regular

Guys, I have been one of the first ranting and raving after inept performances.

On reflection over the last couple of days, we should cut the players some slack and see how a different coach affects their overall play.
    Football is a confidence game and it is clear that Halliday, MOH etc, have none from Warbs time in charge.

You only have to look at the dhims to see what difference a coach makes to a teams confidence.

Gersgirl, exthreepa and Bruno55 like this.
  34. Bruno55

Bruno55 DTB Star Player

You started well IP until you said we should cut the players some slack? We should cut their bloody wages with the mince their delivering us it's them that needs to step up watching our games you wouldn't think we had a captain. The heads have went down and they need to give us passion and showing us what wearing that famous jersey means to them.....step up and play bears cos the fans are doing their bit....

yulf, Gersgirl and ip63 like this.
  35. ip63

ip63 DTB First Team Regular

Can't disagree with the assessment but leadership starts from the management.

Look at sir Alex. He made some average players world beaters.

Let's see. Give em a couple of weeks slack.

36. Bruno55

Bruno55 DTB Star Player

Ask me again after the Dundee game lol and look for dodoo on the bench bro..

ip63 likes this.
  37. dutchblue

dutchblue DTB First Team Regular

I think it's a good idea to have these 'clear the air' talks. If there's too much anxiety in the team frustrations build up and you get your Joey Barton type 'discussions', with possibly the same end.

Nothing wrong with talking about the game and how you're feeling about what went on, especially as the analytic path was a complete waste of time as things not only never got any better, they more often than not got worse.

I hope Murty can get the team winning again. We'll never be title winners with this team, but if Murty does get them to realise their potential, some of them are well worth keeping.

All will be revealed!

Gersgirl likes this.
  38. Jako

Jako DTB First Team Regular

I dont know any better than anyone else how Murty will do ? , but having heard his interview on 24 / 7 i hope things work for the guy , he actually made a point of saying his front two MUST be in an area where they count ?...............FK sake ! , how much have we wanted to hear that before ? . He spoke very well and i wish the guy all the best . IF it works for him i will be delighted .

gustuan and AllAboutTheGers like this.
  39. herbieb

herbieb DTB Reserve Regular

Hyndman and Rossitor if fit if not Toral with Barry McKay and Michael O'Halloran on the wings

gustuan and Arh_itsnotjustagame like this.
  40. thestonedranger

thestonedranger DTB Reserve Regular

41. Always Blue

Always Blue DTB Star Player

Toral is not a bad player and has a lot of experience. Along with Hyndman they can feed Miller , McKay and Waghorn to get us goals.

Halliday and Holt are a problem we are stuck with when the loan players go back to their club. I would also have MOH in midfield who along with Toral and Hyndman gives us a mix of skill and pace.

herbieb and Gersgirl like this.
  42. oliver cromwell

oliver cromwell DTB First Team Sub

Feel sorry for Murty, he's got a hard job on his hands , and it will be a hundred time Harder if he brings back KIERNAN , was hoping he would have pissed off in the same taxi with the 3 amigo s

43. piperalan

piperalan DTB First Team Regular

Interesting to see if he changes anything from last week

44. yulf

yulf DTB First Team Sub

The players have had slack in every game,it's a bit of guts they need,Murtty gave the same pish in his interview as M/w has done all season,Sir Alex must be bursting to get back to sack the players who need a bit of slack.:vln:

45. piperalan

piperalan DTB First Team Regular

Just surprised Dave king have not been in Glasgow or gave a video interview on the situation.. get Mike Ashley to change the shirt deal and pump £50million into rangers. He will get it all back when we're in the cl selling all our gear.(with plenty) going our way as well