1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Martial Arts

Discussion in 'All other sports' started by col7ran52, Feb 6, 2017.

1. col7ran52

col7ran52 DTB First Team Regular

A lot of martial arts are considered sports when they are competitive. I did Tang Soo Do for a couple of years when I was a teenager and Aikido for 4 years in my late twenties.

Its been a while but I am thinking of getting back into it. Does anyone have any recommendations? What martial arts have you had experience with and what was the experience like?

There's an MMA group not far from where I live. I might go along and try it. Or I quite fancy trying kickboxing or muay thai.

2. Zepp

Zepp DTB First Team Regular

3. col7ran52

How long have you been a ninja? Do you enjoy it? What do you do in training?

4. Lochy

Lochy Club 1872 Contributor

I used to have a tortoise ....but never had a turtle.

5. Zepp

I have been a ninja since I completed my online course in ninjitsu. I love it and am so committed I generally do my training while asleep.
    giphy.gif

AllAboutTheGers and Gersgirl like this.
  6. Cobretti

Cobretti Moderator
    Staff Member

Col is going to UFC Heavyweight champion in a couple of months.

7. col7ran52

I am going to watch it or be it? I won't be a heavyweight champion, I'm not big enough :nailbite: I'm 5ft 7 and 163 lbs, to be a heavyweight its over 200 lbs or something like that? I think I'd be a featherweight or something like that.

8. Cody

Cody DTB Star Player

True story.
    My son is now a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and about 15 years ago one of his wee cousins who woulda been about 11 or 12 at the time wanted to join his club.
    He took the wee fella along and the first few times he really enjoyed it the it came to to the last time he went EVER.
    They were going through their routines moves exercises or whatever the Feck they are called and it came to something where a punch was thrown at a solid piece of equipment don't know anything about it tbh so don't know what it's called.
    Any ways they were allowing the wee ones a turn and showing them how it should be done .
    First few up were wee lassies then it came to the bold Daniel.
    Up he gets chest puffed out strides accross and rattles the bag or whatever it was as hard as he could,
    Gets all the well done wee man praise from the senior members and strides back to his place in the line.
    Sees the session out and his ma picked him up to go home.
    He's sat in back of car and his ma noticed he was very quiet and asks him what's wrong, Nothing he says then a couple of minutes later he starts crying
    Daniel what's wrong?
    Look he says I think I've broke my fuckin hand, his hand is swollen about three times normal size
    Up to GRI and he's got two broken bones in back of his hand a busted knuckle and fractured finger.
    Widnae cry cos there were lassies there and suffered the pain for well over an hour before telling anyone,:shock:
    Plucky wee shite but still gets slagged for it today.
    Hates martial arts to this day. :LMFAO:

9. Karl in SC

Karl in SC Club 1872 Contributor

What about the Scottish martial art of F**ku? It mostly involves head butting and kicking people when they are down.

ronto, Gersgirl, bluegenes and 3 others like this.
  10. AllAboutTheGers

AllAboutTheGers DTB Supporter

Top Poster Of Month

I always fancied gettin involved in martial arts
    But I only need to pass comment on my missus latest attempt at making the dinner to get somebody to kick me in the balls & punch fuk out me so I've never bothered

Gersgirl, Zepp and Karl in SC like this.
  11. Bruno55

Bruno55 DTB Star Player

I once knew an Amy Turtle
    Code:
    --- Double Post Merged ---
    Rob keirnan should think himself lucky his heckler wasn't a member of that???

Gersgirl and Karl in SC like this.
  12. Lochy

Lochy Club 1872 Contributor

Same here, Benny!
    2017-02-07 13.35.31.jpg

exthreepa, Gersgirl and Bruno55 like this.
  13. Bruno55

Bruno55 DTB Star Player

And gg has a black belt in chicken chopping????

Gersgirl likes this.
  14. bluegenes

bluegenes DTB Supporter

Always been kinda dubious about martial arts....one of my colleagues was a huge guy,Nigel,who had been doing karate for yonks,spending a year in LA withall sorts of high level sensais or whatever the F*ck you call them...anyyyyywayyyy....we were at a company do in Broad Street in Brum,when he clocks two guys sparring,goes over,adopts the pose,and sez"C'mon guys,knock it off,I"m a trained karate black belt"..at which,the wee runty guy of the two scrappers,squints kinda strangely at him,then scampers over and hoofs in squarely in the sacks....down he went,spewing up his dinner at the same time...two guys legged it,we pulled Nigel up..."Just as well,I'd probably have killed them both...."sez he before honking down himself again.....not impressed.

15. Cobretti

Cobretti Moderator
    Staff Member

You need to watch No Retreat No Surrender, great movie and inspiring if you want to get involved in martial arts.

16. col7ran52

There's two things to consider when it comes to martial arts. The first is natural ability. Some people are naturally good at it and some aren't. In the same way as some are naturally good at sport, music, art etc. Martial Artists are always arguing "My martial art is better than yours" but in reality it comes down to the individual person as to how good they are and their talent.

The second thing is quality of learning. A lot depends on how good your instructor is. Some martial arts clubs don't push you and give away awards and belts like confetti. Oh you've attended regularly and can sort of half do the technique, here's a certificate and a new belt. Whilst other clubs demand very high standards and really insist you are pushed to your limit and that you do any technique perfectly.

17. exthreepa

exthreepa DTB First Team Regular

Do you realise that when you get to the third level you have to wear a green obi (belt)
    Better just to carry a chib

Gersgirl likes this.
  18. Gersgirl

Gersgirl Girlies

Im a plucking ninja ...

Bruno55 likes this.
  19. Bruno55

Bruno55 DTB Star Player

And man can gg pluck?....oh wait

Gersgirl likes this.
  20. Gersgirl

Gersgirl Girlies

Lolol ... Guttin myself ...

21. bluegenes

bluegenes DTB Supporter

Ferr enuff.

22. beegearama

beegearama DTB First Team Regular

Been considering returning to some form of martial arts myself, gained a 3rd dan black belt in karate when I was young and gave it up but now I'm older I wish I kept it on. Been on a bit of a fitness bend for the last 12 months, and getting into a shape where I could see myself going again. I'm having similar sort of issue to you though, there's a few groups local to me and I don't know which one to choose!

23. col7ran52

Go along to all of them once and whichever one has the most attractive women then that's the one. You don't want to be going along to a total sausage fest twice a week.

beegearama likes this.
  24. Steinberger

Steinberger DTB Pub Team

For getting older I recommend Wudang Tai Chi Chuan - not to be confused with the misuse of Tai Chi as a poor immation of the hand form only.

It's a form of Kung Fu and emphasises technique, knowledge, understanding, and experience over strength as it recognises that everyone gets old. So you conserve energy and for instance you divert a punch or kick instead of blocking it - and then of course use the attackers momentum against him.

You can do full contact sparring or save yourself from pain and injury by doing pushing hands - which teaches you a lot about your technique and gives you something competitive to improve for.

A guy worth a google is Dan Docherty who is from Glasgow. Don't know which team he supports but he started learning Karate at Bellahoustan Sports Centre which isn't far from Ibrox and subsequently went to Hong Kong to learn martial arts from a master and eventually won the South East Asian Martial Arts Championships open weight competition after mastering Tai Chi Chuan.

You can read about him here:
    http://www.taichichuan.co.uk/information/articles/tai_chi_gladiator.html

I gave up about 15 years ago due to a bad back.

25. Zepp